Friday, November 12, 2010

Learning from a Project “Post-mortem”

The following reflection is part of an assignment for my project management course and is intended to be an account of a personal or professional project I was involved with. In this account I am to focus on what would be a project “post-mortem” where at the end of a project I would “develop a list of lessons learned” so mistakes are not repeated in any future projects (Greer, 2010, p. 42). In completing this assignment, I am to reflect on what things went well to make the project successful and what could have been done to make the project even more successful.

Let me begin by saying that I cannot recall any major professional project I was responsible for being a major player in the development, execution, or completion of. Therefore, I will need to draw upon the account of a personal project to conduct a post project evaluation/reflection. That being said, the personal project I will reflect upon involves me remodeling my in-laws first floor, including the kitchen, bathroom, dining room and hallway over a 6 week period (by the way, their bankroll) . This project was a major accomplishment for me and I am still very proud of, because I acted literally as a contractor would, from working through the pre-planning phases, physically doing the deconstruction and construction, and finally the completion. What makes me proudest is not only the accomplishment, but that my in-laws have a beautifully and professional looking remodeled first floor with new kitchen cabinets, hardwood floors, tile floors, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, and baseboards (and I did all the work).

In order to pull this project off, my in-laws and I began planning the winter before the summer I actually completed the work. In this planning, I directed my in-laws in what it was going to take to complete the work and they went to the home improvement stores to choose the items they would like for the project and I further directed them on what would work and in what quantities we would need. Once everything was ordered and delivered to their house I would begin work, to include working around my family schedule and other obligations by staying at their house during the week (summer, I’m a teacher). Built into this project were specific benchmarks, to include the date the countertops would arrive and the final completion date, which I met both ahead of schedule and I might add I completed the project within budget.

In all, I was able to work through a major home improvement project from pre-planning, to scheduling, to actual work, to completion, without re-work to a successful completion on time and within budget. However, as is always the case there is always room for improvement and besides taking a 30 year old design and updating the floor plan and the aesthetics I would probably been even more successful if I would have completed the work in a shorter timeframe (for personal reasons – my family).

Reference

Greer, M. (2010). The project management minimalist: Just enough PM to rock your projects!
(Laureate custom ed.). Baltimore: Laureate Education, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,
    What a great blog. You took this week’s blog assignment and turn it into something we can all relate to. Maybe I should say I could relate to. It’s wonderful that you didn’t have any major problems and your in-laws were happy with the results. Every time we remodel something went wrong. The appliance didn’t show up on time, or once we started replace plumbing, we would run out of something making endless trips to the hardware store. Sounds like you and your in-laws did some great planning. As far as I’m concerned, this is a perfect example of what the project initiation phase should be like. Schwalbe indicates that, “the instructional designers learn what is or is not known about the project and determine what they need to do to complete the project”(Allen et al. 2008). You identified what need to be done, communicated with you clients (in-laws) on what they wanted. Both you and your inlaws set up goals, schedules, objectives, cost, and payment. As a result you insured that you stakeholders (in-laws) were happy with their product. Great Job. I really did enjoy your blog.
    Patty
    Reference:
    Allen, S. & Hardin, P. (2008). Developing instructional technology products using effective project management practices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Do you travel and are you for hire? :) It is extremely rare, at least in the hundreds of Judge Judy and People's Court episodes I've watched, for a contractor to not only complete a project within budget but within the given time-frame as well! This renovation was no easy task and you carried it out flawlessly and in accordance with your project plan.

    You mentioned that you may not have accounted for the total impact to your family that summer and perhaps next time would reconsider the time-frame involved. That is what post-mortem analysis is all about whether in our private lives or in the business world. It sounds like what you've done in this post-mortem review is to reassess the "cost-benefit analysis" you thought through prior to the project. By evaluating the benefits gained from a project vs. the actual costs associated (and not just monetary costs,) it helped you realize what proactive measures you may take on any future projects to help alleviate the negative impact experienced this time around.

    References:
    Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

    ReplyDelete